Senior Product Designer
Harness Wealth’s mission is to provide the next generation of builders confidence in the path to their best financial future.
Employees, founders, and investors at major tech companies of every size use our equity-focused personal finance tools and our marketplace to receive financial, tax, and trust & estate advice.
Harness Wealth is a holistic platform that seeks to make bespoke financial strategies accessible, intuitive, and valuable through online tools, education, and expert human advice from top-tier advisory firms.
Harness Tax is the tax division within Harness Wealth, providing innovative tax expertise to help build a holistic, modern tax offering.
What's the opportunity?
As a Senior Product Designer at Harness, you will create a deep understanding of our user base of Builders (startup employees, investors, and founders) and Advisors in order to make financial advice accessible, intuitive and valuable. You’ll create clarity in the overly complicated world of tax and financial advice, and in doing so, you will give Builders confidence navigating some of the most important financial decisions of their lives.
The Sr Product Designer position is an individual contributor (IC) role that reports directly to the Director of Design and works closely with engineering, product, client success, and marketing counterparts. You will be responsible for building a user experience that is accessible to many, intuitive to use, and ultimately, has a real impact on our clients’ financial health. You’ll do this by representing the voice of the client in internal conversations and approaching design problems from a first-principle, user-centric perspective. Ultimately, you’ll regularly ship thoughtful, high-quality, end-to-end solutions that span digital product and service design, and you will propose data- and user-informed iterations to constantly improve. You’ll surprise our users by making the complex world of taxes and finances understandable and enjoyable.
What will I be doing?
- Partner with Product Managers, Engineers, Marketers, and Client success to define problems and goals, map user flows, prototype, and launch new features and services.
- Work in a small-team hybrid startup environment with an engineering-product-design triad, daily stand-ups, and agile product development.
- Learn about our users from all angles, including user interviews, surveying, usability testing, uncovering experience insights, and using metrics to understand user behavior.
- Leading project/initiatives – help define strategy, objectives, and vision for the user experience and works cross-functionally to integrate work into existing products and systems to ensure high quality shipped work.
- Review concepts, designs, mockups, and prototypes with stakeholders through the product development cycle to improve the quality of our product and ensure value to our users.
- Propose iterations and improvements to the existing product based on qualitative and quantitative data, design best practices, and accessibility standards.
- Contribute to our design systems by defining and delivering scalable components for other designers/products to leverage.
What skills do I need?
- Connect-the-dots. You approach design beyond the pixels. You demonstrate curiosity to understand the business, products, market, and users to discover patterns and opportunities to connect seemingly disparate areas and create 10x value.
- Growth-mindset. You are constantly seeking to improve your designs and ways of working through feedback. You are earnest, mature, ego-free.
- Clarity creating. You have demonstrated the ability to guide a team through ambiguity and set vision and strategy for products through design leadership.
- User-centric. You have experience building a deep understanding of users through first-hand user research (qualitative and qualitative) and know how to effectively communicate your learnings with the team to help drive user empathy across the organization.
- Ownership. You measure design impact based on what has been shipped. You are self-driven to own the end to end user experience and propose strategic improvements based on user-feedback, data-analysis, and retrospectives.
- Inspire & Align. You are organized and can switch between creative and analytical thinking. You know how to define & communicate your design process and design rationale to stakeholders. You can strategically plan work, account for unknowns and obstacles, and make sound decisions dependably.
What other experience is preferred?
- 5+ years of experience as an end-to-end product designer with a proven track record of shipping high quality work.
- Experience working in fintech, health-tech, B2B2C, 0-1 startup, and/or service-marketplace businesses.
Within 1 month you will…
- Get onboarded onto the team, design system, and products with an onboarding buddy
- Connect with multiple cross-functional teams and partners in onboarding presentations to better understand our business strategy, product strategy/roadmap, user personas, how we work, and more
- Get familiar with Figma design system, Brand guidelines, Wordpress, Webflow, Hubspot, and our current design process
- Get familiar with our company and team goals, metrics, and analytics tracking systems like Mixpanel and Google Analytics
- Get to know your “EPD (Engineering-Product-Design) Pod,” work that has been done, and current process & cadence
- Have driven impact by contributing towards your first product iterations
- Have collaborated in Design Pairing with other designers across multiple disciplines
- Participate and contribute to weekly design team pairing sessions and reviews as well as your EPD Pod’s Agile sprint meetings
Within 3 months you will…
- Have begun leading the research and design direction of your first consumer-facing project alongside a product manager and engineering lead.
- Be contributing to goal setting and strategic conversations for the consumer product experience, alongside your EPD triad and the head of product
- Be regularly sharing your in-progress design work with your immediate Pod, cross-functional stakeholders, and the leadership team
- Demo your research & design output in our EPD and Company-wide all hands meeting
Within 6 months you will…
- Be leading projects and the design process from conception through launch and monitoring
- Propose individual Quarterly OKRs (objectives & key results AKA goals) and contribute to the Design Team OKRs
- Inspiring and aligning cross-functional teams around innovative solutions through brainstorm sessions and workshops
- Be regularly sharing user research, feedback, and insights with both your immediate pod and the wider company all-hands
- Be the point of contact for consumer experience improvements and iterations across several product areas
- Have lead a design team initiative to improve our team foundations, culture, or ways of working
- Be mentoring and pairing with other members of our product and design team
Salary range: $150,000 - $160,000 plus equity in the form of equity stock options. Actual compensation within that range will be dependent upon the individual's skills, experience, qualifications, and applicable laws.
- Harness Marketplace
Clients complete a profile based on their personal financial information, goals, and milestones. Based on this information, our algorithm recommends a set of financial, tax and/or trust & estate services and firms that are best suited for them. Each firm on the marketplace is personally screened and interviewed by Harness Wealth.
- Harness Tools
Clients manage their personal finances and strategically plan ahead for milestones using our tools. We provide users a balance sheet to monitor full net worth, including employee equity, crypto assets, and real estate, as well as tax planning tools to help navigate decisions around liquidity events.
- Harness Tax
Our in-house tax team offers flexible tax planning services that are tailored to our clients, such as planning for equity liquidity events, managing crypto assets, moving between different countries or states, and evaluating equity compensation packages.
- Lead by making others better.
- Care enough to have honest interactions.
- Value diversity in our team and partners to reflect the diverse future of wealth.
- Build trust at every client interaction.
- Provide clarity over simplicity, given that wealth is not simple.
- Empower people to make and be accountable for decisions.
- Fail fast, reflect, and evolve. Constantly.
- Take ownership. No job is too small or outside our job description.
We value people with a diversity of experiences. Harness Wealth is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion here.
Our full-time employee benefits
- Health, dental, and vision insurance 100% paid for by the company
- One Medical Group membership
- Cash-free equity program
- HSA and FSA
- Tax service discounts via Harness Tax
- Commuter benefits
- Discounted gym and fitness class memberships
- Open, unlimited vacation policy
(the above benefits do not apply to contract roles)
Something looks off?